My Favourite Writing #4: Dave Trott

As our regular reader will know, it’s our belief that regardless of strategy, creativity and the creative crafts ultimately make the difference between great advertising and not-so-great advertising. And none more so than great writing. Regardless of media or technology, great writing is still the most powerful tool available to the marketer and advertiser. So we've been asking people who’s opinions we respect to tell us their favourite three pieces of advertising writing. And thankfully most of them didn't tell us to fuck off. We’re running them as an irregular series. Today's is number four, with selections from Dave Trott...

“I prefer American copywriting.

I've never been a fan of the English 'dare-we-suggest' school of copywriting.
I call it the 'dare-we-suggest' school because they don't seem able to simply write "This product is big."

They are compelled to write "This product is big, dare we suggest bigger than, perhaps, you're used to."

As if they thought their audience was only ever P G Wodehouse fans.”




Thanks Dave.

Read the rest in the series...

My Favourite Writing #1: Mark Denton
My Favourite Writing #2: Drayton Bird
My Favourite Writing #3: Ben Kay
My Favourite Writing #4: Dave Trott
My Favourite Writing #5: Vinny Warren
My Favourite Writing #6: John Allison
My Favourite Writing #7: Stuart Harkness
My Favourite Writing #8: George Parker

7 comments:

  1. Good ads. I love the fly one. "And then, when they've finished eating, it's your turn." Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 'dare-we-suggest' school.

    That's priceless.

    Great stuff from Mr Trott.

    I wrote this in short sentences.

    With returns.

    In tribute.

    Nice one Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The writing in the Avis campaign reads so fresh and honest. Where did that kind of brave work go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best yet. Brilliant, timeless ads. Love Mr Trott's intro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the fly on the food ad from school.

    It was up in our science lab for some reason.

    I used to stare at it all through the lesson.

    I remember it having a white background and most importantly fo rme having crinkle cuts chips on the plate.

    Can someone confirm that for me?

    Short sentences for Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was stationed in England, I loved the ads.

    Such style and wit.

    Not so "in your face" like U.S. ads.

    I guess it's what your used to.

    They stood out because I wasn't accustomed to the approach.

    Which gives me an idea for a reality show:

    Switch an English creative team from London,

    with an American team from New York.

    See what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.